Entrepreneurs and small business owners looking for potential property investments have the opportunity to tour 16 of Downtown Yankton’s most attractive locations available for sale or lease. The tour takes place July 29 from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. during Discover Downtown, a two-day event sponsored by Onward Yankton.
The event is designed to showcase buildings in Yankton’s downtown that are currently empty but full of potential, says Carmen Schramm, head of the downtown committee for Onward Yankton.
“One of Onward Yankton’s core strategies is to create a vibrant and active downtown,” Schramm said. “We can’t do that with empty storefronts. Downtowns are the hearts of communities, and a thriving downtown is what will draw young entrepreneurs and small business owners to our community. That’s essential for Yankton to grow and prosper.”
In its strategic plan, Onward Yankton has set a goal of zero vacant buildings in the downtown area by 2026.
“To do this, we need to show new and existing businesses why a downtown location could benefit them,” Schramm said. “Many are blank canvases that will allow a business to design a creative look, which will lend an exciting and renewed visibility in Yankton’s downtown area.”
Those interested in touring the available downtown properties can see full details on Onward Yankton’s Discover Downtown Facebook page. Tours are available at the following times:
• Janousek Building (306 W. 3rd St.) (lease)
• Rounding Third (304 W. 3rd St.) (sale)
• Riverside Boutique (110 W. 3rd St.) (lease)
• Rick Althoff Building (114 & 114 1/2 W. 3rd St.) (lease/sale)
• Onward Yankton Building (104 W. 3rd St. (sold)
• Old Daycare (next to Cockatoo) (114 E. 3rd) (lease)
• Old Hardware store (220 Capitol St.) (lease)
• Gurney District/Gurney Landing (110 Capitol St.) (lease)
• Missouri River Associates (124 Walnut St.) (lease)
• Wenzlaff Building (109 Douglas St.) (lease/sale)
• One Hundred Douglas Building (100 S. Douglas St.) (lease)
• Social Security Office (121 W. 3rd St. Suite 101) (lease)
• Reade Property (202 W. 3rd St.) (lease)
• Happy Hourz (311 Douglas St.) (sale)
• The Post Office (335 Walnut St.) (lease)
• Culligan Plaza (401 E. 4th St.) (lease)
Onward Yankton recently purchased its own downtown property, located at 104 West 3rd Street (formerly Books and Beans). The organization will host a ribbon cutting Thursday, July 28 at 5 p.m. to kick off Discover Downtown. The building was purchased as part of Onward Yankton’s efforts to bolster the community’s downtown economy and support local entrepreneurs and small business owners.